height="110">Close to you - Carpenters

Monday, October 27, 2008

My heart will go on. This song came out in 1997 as the theme song of the Titanic.
This song inevitably makes me think of someone, or rather the feeling i get from the song from the person from that period of time.
Music has a power to make us link to the period of time we were at, at that point in time. And when things are long past, listening to the song brings back memories.
Such is the power of music, pulling a veil of dream-like quality over memories long gone. I say, our brains seemed to be able to conserve the good parts of past events and put them as "the good times of old".. which is precisely we think we are in a worse situation now, constantly.
So, whenever I meet new friends or have new experiences, i cherish it more as it will soon be gone and into the category known as "memories". I rather not lament on not cherishing it when it is ongoing and regret when ils sont passes. I believe, that is living forward in life.
Philosophy? We live only once and it is precisely due to the "only once and once only" quality of life, our decisions in life can neither be good nor bad since we do not have second or third lives to compare with (i am talking about small regrets not the obviously wrong decisions). It is enlightening really to know that my decisions can never been better and my life can never be better otherwise lived since i only live it once.
If I am allowed to go through memorable events 10 times, over and over again, will i still cherish the memories as much and enjoy life as much? I doubt so. Humans lament things long gone as they gone, forever. If Hitler returns 100000 times, the massacre will not be in history books, the ideal pure race theory will not be so debated on. Is it not? This is known as eternal return. Luckily, there is not eternal return.
This makes the life we live more full of meaning and light as a feather. The controversy makes one excited. As the life is only lived once, what we do can only be done once, experience once. Yet, what we do, who we meet and what we experience could have been otherwise different under fortuitous siituations.. rendering the lightness of our beings.

Am i getting irrititing over the lightness of our being? Maybe, but this quality of no "eternal return" makes me happy about the memories that i had. I no longer look back and wants to go back. I look back and thank God for them, while living hard to make more memories for the future me. xoxo

Till then..

Posted by Jessica at Monday, October 27, 2008